Sunday, July 6, 2008

On to Chiang Mai


I am now in Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand. It is the original Lanna capital of Thailand and has some very interesting history. There are many temples here too and we saw several today. But before I go there, I thought I'd share my travel experience with some of my airline friends. I traveled from Bangkok to Koh Samui and then from Koh Samui to Chiang Mai on Bangkok Airlines, billed as "Asia's Boutique Airline". I was quite impressed! I don't have non-rev priveleges on them, so bought tickets (they are the only airline servicing Koh Samui). They have lounges that they invite all passengers to use where they provide food and beverages (not alcohol), internet access and a nice place to rest before the flight. See the photo here of the gate area at the Koh Samui airport - very nice! And they serve a hot meal on every flight. Even my 50 minute flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui had a hot meal. It was amazing how efficient they were serving it and getting it cleaned up prior to landing. My only issue with them was paying by credit card online - your credit card company will need to ok it prior to paying which makes it an extra step. We also found out that it's cheaper to purchase a ticket at the airport! Oh well. I'd highly recommend them anyway.

No comments: