Sunday, July 6, 2008

More temples - the same only different





Today we went to see some of the temples inside the old city of Chiang Mai, which originally had walls and a moat around it. The walls are mostly gone now thanks to us during WWII and due to earthquakes and 700 years of erosion. But the gates into the city still stand. Inside the walls are many temples some dating back to the 1300's. Many are built of teak that has been intricately carved. The temple compounds contain the main temple and several other buildings that look
like temples but aren't. Monks live around the outsides of the compound and maintain them. For some reason a few don't want women inside, so we had to skip them, but they were a mere few. I'm sure it has something to do with tempting the monks who are supposed to swear off sex - those orange robes are soooo very attractive. This little guy was very cute though and was just hanging out by himself sitting on the curb and I asked if I could take his picture. He decided he needed to pose for me. Anyway, I've included a few photos here for your viewing pleasure.



Tuesday before I leave, we are going to an elephant camp. I'm so very excited about this because as I mentioned before I wanted to ride an elephant. Today we found out about an elephant rescue group that gets elephants from circuses over here (not very animal friendly) and other places and have started an elephant breeding and conservation farm. You get to spend the day with an elephant that becomes yours for the day and you get to feed them, bath them, brush them, ride them and take them swimming! We were talking with some other Americans this morning at breakfast and they had gone yesterday and were raving about it so much that we decided we wanted to do it. It should be an awesome experience and a great way to end my trip here. Stay tuned for the photos, though they may not get uploaded before I get home because I'll have to go straight to the airport from the elephant trip. Hopefully I'll at least have time for a shower before I go to the airport or they may not let me on the plane!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see elephant pics! That is so awesome you're doing this. I'm loving reading your adventures.

JustjillCreations said...

I cannot wait for the viewing of the pix! Sounds amazing...

katlanta said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see the elephant photos too. Sounds like a good time so far.

Rrrow, saffron robes... ;-)