Saturday, February 21, 2009

Yoga in Acapulco

Well, we made it! I've been in Acapulco for a week now learning all kinds of things about yoga that I never expected to learn as well as learning a lot of other things while I'm here. So I know you are thinking, "you've been there a week and are just now writing about it??" Actually this is the first day off we've had in a week, and I've only had a little time to myself daily, and well, writing a blog wasn't the first thing on my list. Sorry! We do yoga in the morning, eat, have classes on yoga philosophy and yoga technique, eat, have about 1 1/2 hours free for playing on the beach or in the pool, more yoga philosophy and yoga technique, then yoga again in the afternoon. All in all, about 4-5 hours of yoga practice a day!

We aren't actually in Acapulco proper, but are on the beach just south of Acapulco about 15 miles or so. We are away from the hustle and bustle of Acapulco in a lovely place called Bambuddha. My friend Beverly and I decided to do this yoga teacher training last fall and have been waiting anxiously for it to begin. We stayed the first night in Acapulco and couldn't wait to get out. Acapulco is very touristy, wall-to-wall high rise hotels, and that's about it. I will say that if you ever find yourself there and want a really good place to eat, check out one of the many 100% Natural Restaurants; they are great!

We arrived at Bambuddha to find a beautiful atmosphere, beautiful people and some nice peace and quiet. This place is hand built very lovingly with palapas on the beach for lounging, a beautiful pool, a large yoga shala, an outdoor kitchen, bar and eating area, and about 10 rooms. There are stained glass windows everywhere, handmade bamboo and palm doors, tables, etc., and the most beautiful artwork you've ever seen. The energy here is incredible. And to top it off, Vistarra, one of the owners is the only female pilot in Mexico and flys ultralight aircraft right off the beach. There is a sweat lodge, and a massage therapist at your becon call. I don't want to leave!! I just wish my spanish was a little better! Oh yeah, and there are two awesome great danes! And the sunsets are spectacular!
I'll write more later, but right now there is a party going on next door and we are invited! Remember the 100% Natural restaurants? The owner lives next door and is throwing a big party for his 3-year-old neice! More for the adults I think with alcohol, dancing and fireworks! Though there was a bouncy slide on the beach this afternoon for the kids. What in the world will this child get when she turns 16???
Ah, life is good!

No comments: